Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Apples to Jam

You know when you go to Costco and see those big flats of apple
and think I will never be able to eat all of those before they go bad. 
Well I bought them, not to eat but to make jam with.

Carmel Apple Jam
from my favorite cooking magazine Taste Of Home
Granny Smith Apples

Peel the apples

Keep apples in water so they don't turn brown
This is J-Man's job

Apple peels (aka "snakes") are fun to eat

J-Man with a long "snake"

Mr. Mr. got a "snake" and hurried to get down from the stool
he bumped his arm, ouch!  I-Man was quick to act
and read him a story while he iced his arm.

cut apples in half

remove the cores 
and return to water

I-Man did such a good job Mr.Mr. fell asleep.





Place bottles, lids and rims in canner

cover with water and bring to a boil

I used a mandoline to slice the apples

place apples back in water

Apple slices, 1/2 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon butter in dutch oven
Cook until apple slices are soft

1 cup sugar, 2 cups brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 tespoon allspice

3 oz Liquid fruit pectin

Jars are getting nice and hot

Apple slices are soft  then add fruit pectin
Bring to rolling boil

Add sugars and spices

Bring to rolling boil, then boil for 1 minute

Ladle into hot jars, seal with hot lids and rims

place in canner

Cover and boil for 14 minutes

Remove from canner, let sit on a towel
Lids will pop as they cool,
write the name of jam and date made on lid

Finished jar of Carmel Apple Jam

Mr. Mr. the next morning saying take my picture
I made the jars look cute with tissue paper and some lables I made on the computer

I sent some jam and rolls to the Middle School as a favor to Mrs. M.W.



Here is a picture of a caterpillar I found

J-Man is sure it will turn into a butterfly

I had one extra canning jar, perfect for watching the caterpillar grow.

Apple Pie Jam

Peel the apples

More apple peels

Place the apples in the water.
Core and slice apples

Boil the apples with 1 cup of water until apple slices are soft

add 5 cups of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of butter.
I ran out of butter so I used 1/2 teaspoon of shortning and
a decent sprinkling of butter popcorn flavor.

Add sugars and Butter/ Shortening




Stir and Bring to a rolling boil

Stir Constantly, Boil for 1 minute

add 3 oz of liquid fruit pectin

Bring to rolling boil


Remove from heat
then add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 1/4 teaspoon of allspice

fill hot jars with jam, wipe rims and remove bubbles
place lids and rims on jars

place jars in canner

Boil for 14 minutes

Remove from canner

place on mat to dry and cool
listen for the popping of the lids.

Two days of hard work
11 Jars of Carmel Apple Jam
&
12 Jars of Apple Pie Jam

Big thanks to L.G. who lent me her large stock pot.

2 comments: