Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Grandma's Dresses

For singing time at church this week I taught the song
Family History-I am Doing it. Listen  
I originally was disappointed that the words were changed from Geneology I am Doing it, because my cousins (some even to this day) would call me Jennieology from the song.  
However, it talks about learning stories about our progenitors (an ancestor from a direct line). 
So I thought I would share a story about
my maternal grandmother
Mary Helen Harris Allred
She was an amazing Family Historian
She was also a seamstress and quilter
Pictures of herself "through the ages"

Grandma and Grandpa Allred in their first home, a tent.
Grandma Allred with my oldest son on his blessing day

Grandma and Grandpa Allred with my oldest son in their kitchen in Bountiful Utah

Every year she would make a dress for each one of her granddaughters
Preemie Dresses she made for me

at the time the stores did not sell any preemie size clothing

I would treasure the dress that she made me each year
Me in my dress at age 4

Me in my dress at age 5
Me in my dress at age 6

Me in my rainbow dress at age 7

Me in my favorite dress at my baptism age 8

Me in my watermelon dress at age 9 or 10

She also made doll clothes for  my Barbies and other dolls
At my grandmother's funeral a doll dress that she had made was presented to each daughter and granddaughter and great grand daughter.
This one is mine!

When I got married she made me a quilt with dresses on it.
Each one of the dresses represent a dress or outfit that she made for either her daughters or grandaughters. 


 I don't know the story about all of the dresses but would love to hear from my  Aunts and Cousins if you can pick out the fabric in the one of the dresses on the quilt of an outfit that Grandma made for you.

3 comments:

  1. This is such a wonderful post!!! I love all of the history & memories that you have with your sweet grandma.

    And I too was sad when they changed the words. Genealogy is so much more interesting than Family History! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quilt! Most of my children received a tied quilt from her. Those are treasured above all other blankets. If they are sick or in need of some extra love they request being wrapped in their "Grandma blanket."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when she started making the "tv quilts" Idris and Jamil each have one and it is too, a treasure. Thanks for sharing Amy.

      Delete