Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Forcast: Clouds, Rainbows and Tie-Dye

Staycation Week 5 : We are learning about Science
On Monday we learned about Colors, Clouds, Rainbows
and for a fun activity we tie-dyed t-shirts.

I put together a packet for the kids to fill out.
The first page was the colorwheel
the primary colors are Red,Yellow and Blue
the secondary colors are Orange, Purple and Green
They had to blend the primary colors to achieve the secondary colors
sorry, I can't get the image to turn the right way



Next we made rainbows by gluing on froot loops for the colors
and mini marshmallows for the clouds





Then we counted up how many froot loops were in each color
The red one usually had the most and purple had the least
They had to use tally marks to help count.


There are ten types of clouds in our atmosphere
I created a worksheet with a brief description of each type of cloud
and a box to illustrate what it looked like


This activity was a little advanced for our younger learners
so I had them go outside and draw a picture of the clouds they saw
Then I identified them as the Nimbostratus Clouds
Thick heavy rain clouds that hang low in the sky
Here is J-Man's illustrations of clouds

Next we played the raindrop game
To play you roll three dice, add the total,
 then cover the corresponding raindrop with the umbrella
I-Man played and was frustrated
he could not roll three sixes to complete the game.
After about ten minutes he finally rolled three sixes
and refused to let anyone touch the dice.

The younger kids played together and colored in the raindrops.

J-Man, A.L. and J.L. all rolled one dice, then I helped
them count to find the sum of the dice

Next we tie-dyed our shirts

A.L.'s shirt
The first color she chose to put on her shirt was black.

J.L. chose some fun colors for his shirt

I-Man didn't like all the white left on his shirt
so he continued to dye it with his fingers.

I-Man's shirt all finished

J-Man's shirt

I-Man thought it was so fun he ran to
his room to find something else to dye
He found his pillowcase

I have my shirt all twisted and banded

Tie-Dye table

My shirt dyed and tied

My shirt all finished

I-Man's pillowcase finished

What a colorful day!











1 comment:

  1. What a colorful day! I love that J-man had such great enthusiasm and want to do more. You have great materials for teaching about weather. My SIL is planning on us making tie-dye when we are with them.

    ReplyDelete