Thursday, June 7, 2012

Constellations In The Night Sky

On Tuesday we learned about the constellations in our night sky.
I have been looking forward to this lesson because I don't know very much about it.
I did some research and made my own renderings of each constellation.






















Then I placed them around the Great Room

and in the windows

I made corkboard  workstations by gluing two pieces of thin corkboard together
Then the kids chose a constellation, placed it on the workstation
and put pushpins in the dots marking the stars.
A piece of string wrapped around the pushpins marked the constellation
J-Man finished Cassiopia, which when we looked
at it at night we thought it was a "W"
but after learning about it, it is actually a crown.



M. working on Bootes

I-Man completed a lot of constellations but this was his first one.


He then took out the pushpins and held it up to the window
to see the light shining throught the pin holes.

M.R.  working on Virgo


J-Man checking out his constellation at the window

We sure learned a lot that day and some of the older kids taught us about
the greek mythology behind the constellations. 
Now when we go out to look at the stars we will know what we are looking at.

No comments:

Post a Comment